Other Potential Funding Sources

If you find that you are still going to incur a short-fall in your finances after looking at your budget and maximising your income, it is worth noting that there are Other Potential Sources of Funding that you may be eligible for.

Some examples include:

Financial Assistance Fund (FAF)

Previously the Access to Learning Fund (ALF), the aim of the Fund is to support students in financial hardship to access and remain in higher education. Specifically it is used:

  • To assist those who need extra financial help to meet particular costs which are not already being met from statutory (or other) sources of funding and
  • To provide emergency payments for unexpected crises

The Fund has in the past been spent before the end of the academic year.  If you would like to apply, you can do so via the electronic application form at https://chester.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/financial-assistance-fund-form-2019-20-academic-year.  You can view the terms and conditions here.

Email money@chester.ac.uk for further information and with any questions you have or if you have any problems with the system.


Delayed Funding Loan

If your funding is delayed through no fault of your own you can apply for a small short term loan towards living expenses, download the Delayed Funding Loan form (available on the right and from Student Futures Support) and email it to money@chester.ac.uk from your student email account or take it to Student Futures Support to apply.

As at October 2018, applications must be with the Financial Support Team by 11 am on a Tuesday morning for payment on the Friday of that week;  you will receive an email if your application is approved and you are to receive a loan.

Email money@chester.ac.uk for further information and with any questions you have.


University of Chester Alumni Association The Cestrian Alumni Award

Each academic year the University of Chester Alumni Association (UCAA) Executive Committee offer two awards of up to £500 to current students or staff; individuals or members of a team. There are two awards available: 

The Cestrian Sports Award

This award is open to current students, individuals or a team for the year 2016-17. Aspiring sportsmen or sportswomen may apply for the award if they require financial assistance to participate in sports activities at a higher level (e.g. international representation).

The Cestrian Community Alumni Award

This award is open to current staff or students, individuals or a team for the year 2016-17. Applications are welcomed for sporting or non-sporting activities, especially those which support the community or set a good example. The fund will not be available as a direct donation to other charities.

Successful applicants for both awards must agree to providing a report and photographs for inclusion in The Cestrian magazine and agree to promote the benefits of the award and the support of the University of Chester afterwards and in all publicity.  
If you would like to apply for either of these awards and think you fit the criteria please contact the Alumni and Development office for an application form. Application forms can also be downloaded from www.chester.ac.uk/alumni

Please return your application to: Alumni and Development Office, Corporate Communications, University of Chester, Parkgate Road, Chester, CH1 4BJ.
Email: alumni@chester.ac.uk or Tel: 01244 511091 for more information.


Grants and Charities

There are times when students find themselves in hardship and these resources highlight some of the charities that may be able to offer small grants.

Turn 2 Us Grants Search

Financial assistance and other forms of support are often available from grant-giving organisations, depending on your particular background and circumstances. Our grants search contains a database of over 3500 charitable funds offering welfare and educational grants.

Students are excluded from the site’s Benefits Checker.


Postgraduate Funding - FindAMasters

FindAMasters produce an up-to-date Postgraduate Loans Guide each year which offers a detailed overview and FAQs to help explain the support available to applicants from across the UK.


They also offer general information about Masters Degree and PhD funding which can be found at:



Educational Foundation of Dr Robert Oldfield

Offers grants to students 'towards the cost of university education', but also for travel for educational purposes, books and equipment. To be eligible, students must be born or permanently resident in the Chester District, aged under 25 years and the grants are means tested.  


Hockerill Foundation

Financial support for teachers in training

Grants are awarded in the following categories for study in the United Kingdom, with priority given to Religious Education courses.

  • students and teaching assistants taking teaching qualifications*, or first degrees leading to teaching.
  • teachers, teaching assistants and others in an educational capacity seeking professional development through full-time or part-time courses.
  • those undertaking research related to the practice of Religious Education in schools or further education
  • students taking other first degree courses*, or courses in further education.
  • others involved in teaching and leading in voluntary, non-statutory education, including those concerned with adult and Christian education.
  • Grants are not usually awarded for the first year of a three or four year course, but exceptions may be made for mature students.


The Leverhulme Trade Charities Trust – all students

The applicants should be normally resident in the UK, and be the son or daughter, spouse, widow or widower of a commercial traveller, chemist or grocer. 

The maximum value of any bursary is £3,000 per annum - http://www.leverhulme-trade.org.uk

Gilchrist Education Trust

The Gilchrist Educational Trust awards grants for those who have made provision to fund a degree course but have found themselves in unexpected financial difficulties.

The Gilchrist Educational Trust awards grants for full time students who attend a British University and have made provision to fund a degree course but find themselves in unexpected financial difficulties or as part of their degree course there is a requirement to study in another Country and they do not have the funds to support it.

Grant amount available – Study grant of up to £1,000 and travel study grant up to £500.

To apply for a grant write to the correspondent. Applications via email will not be accepted.

13 Brookfield Avenue,
Larkfield Aylesford
ME20 6RU

Email: gilchrist.et@blueyonder.co.uk
Tel: 01903 746723

Sandra Charitable Trust

People pursuing a career in nursing can apply for these grants.

Typical Grants are one-off awards but there can be recurrent grants according to need.

Apply in writing to the correspondent.
Richard Moore (Trustee)
150 Aldersgate Street
London EC1A 4AB
Tel: 020 7334 9191


Biochemical Society Grants

The Biochemical Society offers a programme of grants supporting research, attendance at scientific conferences and the sponsorship of events - http://www.biochemistry.org/Grants.aspx

Heinz, Anna and Carol Kroch Foundation

Accepts applications for help from individuals who are experiencing severe poverty and who also have ongoing medical problems. Also willing to consider recent cases of domestic violence.  The funds are to be used for maintenance purposes only - http://www.wellaware.org.uk/organisations/9847-heinz-anna-and-carol-kroch-foundation


Funding for Refugees

Ruth Hayman Trust

The Ruth Hayman Trust awards small personal grants to support the education and training of adults who have come to settle in the UK, speak English as a second or other language and have difficulty in paying for their studies. – Not overseas students - http://www.ruthhaymantrust.org.uk/grants/


The Schwab and Westheimer Trusts

The Schwab and Westheimer Trusts provide educational funding in the form of grants to young asylum seekers and refugees where alternative sources of funding are inadequate. - www.schwabwestheimertrust.org.uk


There are charities that can provide advice and support for refugees, but not funding.

The Boaztrust which is based in Greater Manchester - http://boaztrust.org.uk/

www.refugee-action.org.uk and this is UK wide.


Funding for international students

Churches Commission for International Students

The CISN hardship fund was set up in 1990 by the former Churches Commission for International Students (now CISN) to assist full-time international students, irrespective of their race, gender or religion, who are already in Britain and Ireland and who are facing unexpected financial problems during the final stages of their course. It is administered ecumenically on the basis of agreed criteria.

Decisions on grants are made three times a year, in February (for studies finishing April-July), June (for August-November), and October (for December-March). To allow for correspondence and processing of applications in preparation for these meetings, requests for forms (including postal address) should be made respectively by mid-December, mid April and mid August at the latest.

All grants are made at the discretion of the Hardship Fund Committee. The level of funding is dependent on funds raised for this purpose. Grants are typically £500 but do not exceed £800; the same person is not funded twice.  For information about applying please go to - https://ctbi.org.uk/international-students/


Mountbatten Memorial Grants

These funds are for overseas students from developing countries including the Commonwealth, who have encountered unforeseen financial difficulty in, or towards the end, of their final year of study at a university in the United Kingdom.  The grants are intended to help with living expenses in order to achieve the successful completion of the course and are not to cover academic fees.

As these awards are intended to assist those students who are at the end of their studies, students who have just commenced a one year course are unlikely to be assisted.  The Trust does not make retrospective grants or pay debts.

These Mountbatten Memorial Grants are administered by the Churches International Student Network (CISN) Hardship Fund but are open to application by all students regardless of religious belief or persuasion.  Email hardship@ctbi.org.uk for an application pack.

If you are struggling financially and wish to speak with a Wellbeing Adviser then please contact Student Support to arrange an appointment - wellbeing@chester.ac.uk