Registering with a local GP


Students moving to Chester and Warrington are strongly advised to register with the local GP service.

During your time at University you will be living locally for the majority of the year.  Therefore, it is important that you register with a local GP as soon as possible and not wait until you are poorly.  It is particularly important if you have a long term condition such as asthma or diabetes, or require medication.  Your new doctor will be able to liaise with your usual hospital consultant if necessary.  During the holidays you can return to your home GP and be seen as a temporary patient as needed. 

Clarification on roles of members of the Medical Centre team:

  • Doctor – Qualified General Practitioner.  Can diagnose, manage, treat and refer to secondary care.
  • Nurse Clinician or Nurse Practitioner – completed master’s level training including prescribing and clinical examination.  Can diagnose, manage, treat and refer to secondary care.

  • Practice Nurses – specialise in Long Term Conditions such as asthma, diabetes, heart disease

  • Treatment room nurses – perform certain tasks such as vaccinations, dressings, contraception reviews, travel advice

  • Health Care Assistant – supports the nursing time by carrying out a defined list of tasks, including injections, ECGs, dressings, blood pressure and other tests.

  • Phlebotomist – performs blood tests

Frequent Student Queries:

Why they might ask “are you a student?” 

They don’t do this to discriminate or to treat you differently.  In some practices there is a nurse-led service for the students.  New patients are triaged to the correct person. 

Why do they ask you for details of you problem?

This is to prioritise problems and ensure patients are seen by the correct person at the correct time.  You don’t always need to see a doctor.  In a large team of clinical staff it is often more appropriate to see a Nurse or Nurse Practitioner, or even someone outside of the practice, for example, the local pharmacist.  In West Cheshire there is a service provided by the pharmacies called Pharmacy First. Visit their website for more details:

For information about Warrington pharmacies visit -


Why they might offer you a nurse appointment

The Nurse Practitioner is very experienced in providing assessment and treatment for a full range of medical conditions and offers advice and support in all areas of health and well-being.  In addition a Nurse Practitioner can usually prescribe medication for a full range of medical conditions.

Why is everyone offered a Chlamydia test?

There is a screening campaign in West Cheshire which aims to reduce the prevalence of Chlamydia in the community.  This is why all young people aged 16-25 are offered a test even if no symptoms are evident and you are attending the practice concerning another issue. 

I’m a residential student, what about my registered GP back home?

Students are strongly advised to sign up with a local GP.  You can still use your home GP when you return home during term breaks and the summer as GP’s are obliged to register you as a temporary resident.


Practice Information


Each medical practice will have their own website with full information about the practice and services provided.


Some GP’s offer Patient Access meaning you can book appointments, order prescriptions and view your medical records via an app.  For more information visit   

E-Consult is another valuable tool as you have access to a virtual GP who can advise on a variety of issues.  Visit the GP website for more information.

What to do when the GP practice is closed


Out of hours – When the practice is closed if you require urgent medical assistance and cannot wait until the surgery re-opens, please call 111.  Calls to NHS 111 service are free from landlines and mobiles. 

Ambulances and A&E should be for Accidents and Emergencies only.  Chest pains and/or shortness of breath constitute an emergency.  Call 999.