International Students FAQs

Can I work in the UK whilst studying?

You will normally be allowed to work in the UK during your studies. However, there may be restrictions depending on your level of study. For more information check the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) website.

How many hours will I be able to work?

If you are studying at degree level you are able to work 20 hours per week during term time. The University of Chester recommends that you only work 15 hours per week during term time, as this allows you time for independent study.

Please be advised that should you work more than 20 hours in any week during term time, you will be in breach of your visa terms and you will find it difficult to obtain a visa in the future.

For more information please visit the website.

Is there anyone at the university who can help me find work?

Yes - The University of Chester's Careers and Employability team can assist you with this. You can receive advice on preparing a CV and covering letter, how to complete an application form and you can also request a mock interview.

The team also holds free EYE training sessions to enhance your employability; these include: Customer Service Skills, Presenting Skills and Introduction to Marketing.

You may also wish to register for the Chester Difference Award and gain recognition for any extra-curricular activities you do whilst at university such as: volunteering, working part-time and attending EYE training sessions.

Where to find work in the UK?

The Careers and Employability team can assist you in finding part-time work on campus via the UniJob Recruitment Bank. To gain a place on the UniJob Bank students will need to undertake a competitive application process, consisting of an application form and interview. Careers and Employability has a vacancy database and the Chester Students' Union occasionally has vacancies on campus.

You can also register with Prospects which advertises vacancies.

Local vacancies are sometimes advertised in newspapers such as The Chester Chronicle and The Standard, and employers may also advertise vacancies in shop windows.

What will I need to start work?

You will need a National Insurance number, a UK bank account and your visa.

What is a National Insurance (NI) number?

If you intend to work, or soon after you get a job, you will need a NI number. You cannot be paid until you have this. To find out how to apply for a NI number please check the Gov.UK website.

Can I work in the UK after my studies?

In order to obtain a work Visa after your studies, the UKVI allows UK university graduates to switch into Tier 2 category. You will only be able to switch to Tier 2 if you secure a graduate level job and meet all the UKVI requirements. Please keep checking the UKVI website for more details.

Is there any other support for international students at the University of Chester?

Yes - We have a number of sports and societies at the university including a society specifically for International Students. For more information on any sports or society contact Chester Students' Union.

Chester Students' Union has an International Student Forum allowing students to have a voice within the university.

The Student Support and Guidance team offers a wide range of services which are available to all students of the University of Chester:

  • Student Welfare - can offer advice and assistance with homesickness, accommodation issues, understanding academic procedures, financial problems and childcare information.
  • Disability Support - is keen to ensure all students benefit fully from university life and achieve their learning potential.
  • Student Counselling - University life can sometimes produce a great deal of stress. The reasons for this can range from a heavy worklaod and imminent deadlines, to difficulties of a personal nature. Student Counselling provides an opportunity to discuss any difficulties you may be experiencing in your life with a qualified person.

The University of Chester has a scheme in place to assist first year students residing in University accommodation. Hall Wardens are current students (at Level 5, 6 or postgraduate stage) who are interested in making your time in Halls as good as possible. Hall Wardens are experienced in student life, so can completely empathise with the settling-in process.

Can I use my driving licence in the UK?

For more information on whether you are able to drive in the UK please check the Gov.UK website.

Is there any help available to support my studies?

Yes - whatever course you are studying or whatever level you are studying at, the study skills team in Student Skills Development can help you to make the most of your time at university.

They offer tailored learning experiences through one-to-one appointments, e-appointments, drop-ins, online and print resources that will help develop your academic skills in a wide variety of areas including: referencing, essay planning, academic writing, reflective writing, critical analysis, dissertations, reading strategies, and exam preparation.