So, what is enterprise? People see or hear the word enterprise and they think ‘that’s for business students’, ‘that’s not relevant to me’ or ‘I don’t really know what that means’.
Put simply, enterprise is about coming up with ideas and making them happen. Whether that’s having a business idea and pursuing it, or simply looking at a product, service, or process and thinking ‘that could be improved’ or ‘that could be done better’. Every student has the capacity to be entrepreneurial. You may already be without really knowing it!
So, enterprise is for any student, studying any course. It’s not just for business students. It’s for all students who are developing knowledge or skills at University who are thinking about starting a business, freelancing or working for themselves.
What is Venture?
Venture will equip you with the skills and knowledge to start-up your own business, enter self-employment, freelance or innovate within an organisation; a valuable skill employers are looking for. Our events will challenge your thinking, expose you to the business world, and give you the opportunity to make something happen for yourself.
Venture is for any student, studying any course. It’s not just for business students. It’s for all students who are developing knowledge or skills at University who are thinking about working for themselves.
How does Venture work?
Venture is here to inspire you and support you to be enterprising. It’s a three level programme designed to help you at different stages of your journey. It’s also purposely ‘messy’ - there are no rules here. You are in control.
You can come along to any event, in any order and you don’t have to follow a certain process, or do one thing before you’re allowed to do another. You can drop in at any stage and essentially it is a ‘pick and mix’ programme. Lots of students and graduates get involved at all levels and combine them to create a bespoke programme of support according to what they need.
Which sessions should I go to?
- As a general rule, if you’re interested in enhancing your enterprise skills and you are looking for some inspiration, our ‘CREATE’ events are for you.
- If you have a business idea and would like some help, our ‘COLLABORATE’ events will connect you to mentors, advisors, entrepreneurs and experts who can steer you in the right direction.
- If you’re preparing to start-up, you can meet experts who’ll advise you on business topics through the ‘ACCELERATE’ programme.
What else do I need to know?
- You can gain recognition for taking part in Venture events through the ‘Chester Difference Award’. You can get up to 3 points!
- Venture is open to students and graduates of the University of Chester (up to 3 years after graduating)
- If you bank 12 hours’ worth of support, you can pitch for up to £5,000 – courtesy of Santander - to really get your business off the ground!
Book your place
For events, log on to your CareerHub: careers.chester.ac.uk
For appointments, email firstname.lastname@example.org