Department of English
The quality of teaching in the Department is officially rated ‘excellent’, and we have consistently achieved the highest scores for ‘overall satisfaction’ in the National Student Survey, leading to top ratings in published league tables.
The key features of the Department of English at Chester are:
- Highly rated by students in the National Student Survey
- Rated “excellent” for teaching quality by Higher Education Funding Council for England
- Recognised for its research of national, international and world-leading quality
- Flexible curricula offering plenty of choice
- Innovative learning and teaching methods
- Diverse range of assessments with an emphasis on varieties of coursework
- Impressive employment rate for students upon graduation
The Department of English has a team of committed staff - tutors who believe in creating the best possible atmosphere of support and encouragement for all their students, across all the programmes:
- English Literature
- English Language
- English Language and Literature
- Creative Writing
- MA Creative Writing: Writing and Publishing Fiction
- MA English Language and Linguistics
- MA Modern and Contemporary Fiction
- MA Nineteenth-Century Literature and Culture
The Department puts its theory of student support into practice throughout all its courses, and offers guidance (with writing skills, for example) outside normal classes and tutorials.
You will find all your tutors in the Department accessible and helpful. We believe that the study of English literature, language and creative writing is both enjoyable and richly rewarding, and we will do everything we can to make sure that you enjoy your studies.