Postgraduate Applications

To apply for postgraduate study you must satisfy the University’s general entry requirements as well as any specific requirements for your chosen programme. Additionally, international students will need to ensure that their English language qualifications meet our English language entry requirements.


Please follow these few easy steps to make your application process as smooth as possible

Before you apply

Choose your course you wish to study from our Course List.

Check the entry requirements: For entry to a Masters programme, you will normally need to have a good first degree from a recognised Institution. Relevant experience may also be taken into account. Some courses may have additional entry requirements such as previous work experience, submission of written work with the application or previous study of a particular subject.

For the majority of postgraduate courses the following documents need to be submitted along with the application form.

  • Transcripts and certificates for the qualifications you have obtained. These should state the full title of the award, subject modules taken and grades achieved.
  • Proof of your English language proficiency
  • A satisfactory academic reference. Please ensure that references are hand signed and preferably on headed paper. If you are applying for MBA you must also submit an employer reference. This must be from your current or most recent employer. Referees are normally people who are able to confirm that the student has reached the academic level required, and would be able to cope with the degree work involved.
  • Statement of purpose outlining your reasons for applying for your choice of course, your career ambitions/aspirations and any knowledge gained in the field.

If you are unsure about the comparability of your qualifications, please send scanned copies of your transcripts and certificates (translated into English) to the International Office,, and we will be happy to advise you on whether you meet the entry requirements. The British Council in your own country will also offer advice if needed.


While there are no specific deadlines for the majority of our postgraduate applications (with the exception of courses such as PGCE or MA Social Work) you will need to allow enough time to apply for your visa and make any necessary travel arrangements. Additionally, some popular courses do fill up quickly, and we encourage you to apply early in order to avoid any disappointment.

Please note that we do not charge any application fee and you are allowed to apply for a number of postgraduate programmes.

You can apply by email, post, or through one of our official Agents


Completed application forms and copies of your supporting documents should be sent by post to the following address:

University of Chester
International Office
Parkgate Road
Chester CH1 4BJ

If you wish you can either fax your application and supporting documents to +44 1244 511260 or email it to:


The University has a network of official agents throughout the world who provide advice and further information about studying at University of Chester. Please see Your Country page for details.


What happens after you have applied?

You will be sent an acknowledgement email as soon as the University has received your application.

If your application is successful we will make you one of the following offers:

  • Conditional (C) – means that we will offer you a place to study your chosen programme if you meet certain conditions, which are usually based on your exams or your English language qualifications. Until we receive confirmation from you that the conditions have been met, we will not be able to confirm your place with us or send you an 'unconditional' offer letter.
  • Unconditional (U) - means that you have met all the academic and English language requirements and we are happy to accept you.

Once you have accepted your place at the University of Chester and your offer is unconditional you will be required to pay the £3,000 tuition fee deposit. We will then issue your CAS (Certificate of Acceptance of Studies) so you can apply for your visa.