How To Report A Problem With Students Living In Private Rented Shared Accommodation

Please note that the University has no jurisdiction within private purpose built student accommodation (PBSA) provided by commercial companies. Problems with residents of purpose built student accommodation should be directed to the manager of the building concerned. 

Find information about how to report a problem with students living in private, rented houses of multiple occupancy.

Step one

  • In the first instance we would ask you to try to resolve the matter with the student(s).  For some students this may be their first time living independently in the private sector and they may not have realised that their behaviour has affected anyone else.  An effective approach with regards to noise problems is to take the students' mobile numbers and to agree that you will give them a call or text if you are disturbed in the future.
  • If possible find out the name of the student(s) you wish to complain about.  You may also wish to take the matter up with the landlord or letting agency.  You can find out the name and address of any landlord via the Land Registry.

Step two

If you are unable to resolve the issue with the students then the Community Liaison Manager will be happy to help.  Telephone on 01244 511023 or email  Your message will go directly to our Community Liaison Manager who will be in touch to discuss the problems you are having. Complaints made against any students are treated in the strictest of confidence.

The University works in partnership with Cheshire West and Chester Council regulatory officers and Cheshire Constabulary.  However, it is important to remember that the University does not have legal enforcement powers in many situations and, therefore, you may wish to contact the organisation that does have more appropriate powers in the issues of:


Cheshire West and Chester Council have powers to deal with noise complaints, including Noise Abatement Notices, formal cautions, prosecution (maximum fine £5,000 for domestic cases) and in extreme cases involving loud music, confiscation of the music equipment.

You can find a guide to making a noise complaint on the Council website

Anti-Social Behaviour

You can find out more about who to call in cases of anti-social behaviour from Cheshire Constabulary’s website

Rubbish and waste

To report an issue related to rubbish or waste please log the problem on the Cheshire West and Chester Council website.