Find funding!

Firstly, have you checked the Directgov website to see if you are eligible for any financial help?  Find out more at or by speaking to them directly on 0845 300 50 90.

If you have children, you can also use this website to check that you are receiving all the benefits you may be entitled to.

The Family Action Educational Grants offer guidance and advice on funding for those studying in post-16 Education in the UK. They also have an online database of educational trust funds. You can find out if you are eligible to apply for funding by filling in the online questionnaire. Just go to

Financial assistance and other forms of support are often available from grant-giving organisations, depending on your particular background and circumstances. Turn 2 Us grants search contains a database of over 3500 charitable funds offering welfare and educational grants. Visit them at

Hotcourses is a website which can help you search for financial awards. It has the UK’s largest and most accurate database of educational opportunities. You can search online at .

Student Welfare can also give you general advice about your options with regards to funding; you can email your enquiries to or call Chester / Warrington: 01244 511550 / 01925 534282

Access to Learning Fund

Students at the University can apply for the Access to Learning Fund (this is a non‑repayable grant) if they are experiencing financial hardship. Application forms and guidance notes are available on the Student Welfare Money Matters pages on the University website, or from Student Welfare. For more information please contact Student Welfare.


532 students received Access to Learning Fund payments or loans totalling £237,601 (2010 – 2011)