Getting involved with Work Based Learning is straight-forward.
If you would like to contribute to our students' development and benefit from having an additional dedicated member of staff for up to five weeks, please check you are able to meet the requirements below then complete parts 1 and 2 of the Placement Offer Form.
- Provide an unpaid 5-week negotiated placement that offers challenging learning opportunities (minimum 150 hours over not less than five weeks).
- Interview the student.
- Assist the student with the completion of a job description.
- Identify workplace hazards and comply with health & safety and relevant equal opportunities legislation.
- Involve the student as a normal member of staff and provide support throughout.
- Ensure that the student is aware of what is required of them and has the appropriate facilities/equipment to carry out the agreed work.
- Where appropriate, make reasonable adjustments in the workplace for students with Specific Educational Needs (SEN)/disabilities.
- Contribute to the student's assessment by undertaking a staff appraisal with the student.
Please note that:
- Most placements are unpaid!
- If applicable, students will meet their own Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) costs.
- Students are subsidised by the University for travelling to and from the workplace.
We encourage placement providers to be fully involved at every stage of the Work Based Learning process and will be happy to discuss your requirements and answer your queries at any time.