BA(Hons) Business Studies (4 yr) The Sandwich Placement Advantage
"sandwich course: noun (Brit.) a training course with alternate periods of formal instruction and practical experience." (Compact Oxford English Dictionary)
At a Glance...
- 12 month paid placement in 3rd year
- £12,000 - £16,000 typical salary
- Starts between end of June and end of September
- Support throughout placement (plus preparation & debrief)
- Applies theory, enhances skills
Context - Giving you "The edge"
University of Chester students studying all Business-related courses will have the opportunity to undertake a 5 week placement through Work Based Learning at the end of their second year. This is an experiential (i.e. learning through work) module which allows each student to:
- Perform a self-audit (Where am I? Where do I want to go? What skills do I need to get there?);
- Put theory into practice;
- Reflect on work-based performance. (What happened? Why? How can I improve on this practice in future situations?);
- Articulate this knowledge academically and practically - invaluable for applying for jobs and securing employment;
- Explore future career areas.
This is the chance to try a real job with real responsibility and is negotiated by the individual. Additionally, each student is responsible for their own learning by setting individual learning targets and goals for the placement period.
12 Month Placement
For those on the 4 year course, the sandwich placement is a natural extension to Work Based Learning. In some cases, students are able to secure the sandwich placement with the same organisations they were with for the 5 weeks on WBL.
To help with the transition between full time study and work, a comprehensive support programme is built into the second year of study. Topics include writing, interview techniques & aptitude tests, together with the chance to ask guest employers what the "difference that makes the difference" is when recruiting individuals. This support is extended into the placement itself (including a Mid-Placement Conference) and beyond - we hold a debriefing session to ease students back into the final year of study. Internet tools such as discussion boards are made available, together with email support and a tutor visit to ensure that contact is maintained with the University.
Currently our students are working with organisations of all sizes in both public and private sectors throughout the UK. These organisations are as wide-ranging as financial institutions, county councils, IT consultancies and hospitality groups. Their roles are similarly diverse: marketing, market research, PR, advertising, financial, logistics, retail, IT (information systems, web design) and human resources.
If you would like to discuss the University of Chester sandwich year or would like to offer a placement, please contact:
- Vikki Brockhurst (email@example.com) Placement Co-ordinator on 01244 512100 or
- Connie Hancock (firstname.lastname@example.org) Academic Placement Manager on 01244 511986
Sandwich Placements Forms and Downloads
If you would like to offer a 12 month paid sandwich placement, please complete the Offer Form and Health & Safety form below and return them to Vikki Brockhurst – email@example.com