The Residential Life Team

The University of Chester has a scheme in place to support first year students residing in University accommodation: a Residential Life Team.

Residential Advisors are current students (at Level 5, 6 or postgraduate stage) who are interested in helping you to have a positive experience whilst living in Halls. You might live with an Residential Advisor (RA) or a Residential Coordinator (RC – postgraduate student or member of University staff who helps support your RC); the RAs and RCs have ‘been there and done it’ at the University of Chester, so can completely empathise with the settling-in process. The team is managed by the Residential Life Manager who oversees teams at all sites.

RAs and RCs are able to advise on a number of areas and can also sign-post you to other support services.  Their role includes:

  • Helping new students acclimatise to the campus; being available on ‘move-in Sunday’ to direct students and parents and to answer queries regarding accommodation;
  • Organising and assisting with a programme of monthly ‘Flat Chats’, that will encourage you to engage with other services and development opportunities, to foster good relationships between housemates and to promote a sense of community;
  • Working with other members of staff where appropriate to resolve issues, including the Porters, the Accommodation Office and the University Proctor;
  • Ultimately being a point of contact and support for students.

Your Residential Life Team members have experienced moving away from home and starting university at Chester. Each RA and RC is trained to help with a variety of situations and if they don’t know the answer to something directly, they will know how to find out. They’re a great resource, as they know the campus, are familiar with the services offered at the University, and are generally committed to making your experience in University accommodation as positive as possible. They are all active volunteers within our Student Development Office (in Student Futures) and can give you details on how to get involved with ways to develop your own employability through volunteering. They also help with the ‘practical’ things like how to report maintenance problems and referring on to others in the Residential Life team if things are taking too long to be fixed.

Once you have settled into University life, your Residential Advisor will circulate information (also available on the University intranet) about how to contact them, and on dates for Flat Chat meetings.

When you arrive at the University Chester, your RA or RC will be on hand to meet you when you move in, and they can also be contacted via the details on their ‘contact posters’ in your house. Do try to engage with your RA or RC – they have a wealth of experience at the University and are here to help! The Residential Life team hold the initial Flat Chat meetings with each of their houses within the first fortnight of students moving in. Please ensure that you attend, as there will be a lot of either essential or useful information regarding life at the University of Chester. We look forward to meeting you.