Research (MPhil or PhD) Applications

Application for MPhil or PhD degrees is now online.  However, before completing an application, it is very important that you make informal contact with your chosen department in the first instance, to establish whether the University has the relevant and specific expertise to supervise your specific project.

We have produced leaflets for the main areas of research activity within the University and these are available to download from our website ( The leaflets give information on the main topics of interest of our researchers, and contain contact details for the departments. 

For entry to a research MPhil or PhD programme, applicants should normally have, or expect to obtain the equivalent of an upper second class British Bachelor (i.e. 2.1 or 1st) in a discipline appropriate to their intended area of research. If you have a lower second class Bachelor degree (2.2) then you will also be required have the equivalent of a British Master’s degree.

Substantial prior research or professional experience, may, in some instances, be acceptable in place of a first degree qualification.

If English is not your first language you will be asked to attach a copy of your English Language Certificate. We require a minimum of IELTS 6.5 (or equivalent).

Research topics vary, and may be interdisciplinary (involving staff from several departments of the University), so it is important for you to contact the academic staff in the department(s) concerned as early as possible, to formulate a research proposal. If you cannot find the details for your chosen department on our website, Postgraduate Research Admissions will be able to put you in touch with an appropriate person.

Once it has been established that the University has the necessary expertise to be able to supervise your project, please visit the Application Process page.

When selecting postgraduate students, programme leaders and supervisors pay particular attention to each applicant's personal statement and the reports from referees, as well as academic qualifications. You must take care to complete each section of the application carefully, so that it can be processed as quickly as possible. The application must contain a detailed research proposal, which needs to have been discussed with the potential academic supervisor before being submitted.

More detail about postgraduate study by research can be found here.


Important Information for all Postgraduate Applicants:

If you are a non-EU/EEA (including Switzerland) national and are planning to take postgraduate study in the UK in certain, Technology, Engineering or Science subjects then you will now need to obtain an ATAS (Academic Technology Approval Scheme) certificate before applying for your Visa, Entry Clearance or Extension of Stay as a student. 

Further details on the ATAS certificate