Master by Research (MRes)
An alternative to a PhD or MPhil is the Master by Research (MRes) degree, which will offer you the opportunity to study a small number of relevant taught modules and to complete a substantial dissertation in a specified subject area.
Programme structures for the Master by Research vary slightly between disciplines, and feature between two and four 20-credit taught modules and a 100-140 credit (20-30,000 word) dissertation. Therefore the main focus of the Master by Research is on a research project in your chosen discipline, which will be related to the areas of expertise available within the University.
Students typically choose a Master by Research programme because it offers the following:
- An opportunity to develop their subject in greater depth
- A broader experience of research than most other Masters programmes
- Improved employment prospects and opportunities to acquire transferable skills
The Master by Research programme is suitable for you if you wish to study prior to commencing on a PhD programme (for which the Master by Research provides excellent preparation), or if you simply wish to undertake a significant research project without any longer term objective.
We currently offer the following MRes programmes:
- Applied Science
- Arts and Media
- Biological Sciences (Cell and Molecular Biology pathway)
- Clinical Sciences and Nutrition
- Gender Studies
- Medical Science
- Modern Languages