Healthcare and Wellbeing


Health Care

All students who don’t already live locally are advised to register with a local GP and Dental Practice to ensure that they have health support whilst living away from home, should it be required. There are a number of GP Practices and Dentists within close proximity to the University, and you can find the one most convenient to where you will be living via the NHS service search

You will be able to access additional information about medical, dental and other services from Student Futures Support and the Students’ Union.


Public Health England strongly recommends that all new university students receive the Meningococcal ACWY vaccine which will be offered by your GP from August 2015. It is also recommended you are up to date with all other vaccinations. Therefore, please contact your current GP Practice and, if you have not been immunised, we strongly advise that you receive the Meningococcal ACWY vaccine and any other outstanding immunisations prior to arriving at University.

Student Futures Disability and Inclusion works with disabled students (including students with medical conditions, mental health difficulties and specific learning difficulties such as dyslexia) to enable them to demonstrate their abilities while at University. We offer information, advice and guidance on a range of issues, including:

  • reasonable adjustments to courses and assessment
  • the process of accessing support, for example applying for Disabled Students’ Allowance
  • liaison with other University departments, academic staff and external agencies including Assessment Centres, Student Finance England and Local Authorities.

Students will need to provide supporting evidence of their disability, mental health difficulty or specific learning difficulty; this could include a letter from their GP or other medical specialist detailing a medical or mental health difficulty, an up-to-date psychological assessment of a specific learning difficulty, or other documented evidence of your disability such as a registered blind certificate.

We encourage all eligible students to apply for Disabled Students’ Allowance as early as possible to ensure that support is put in place at the earliest opportunity. If they need help with this process please contact us as soon as possible. 

We work within strict confidentiality guidelines and, as part of developing a student’s independence and overall development, we support students with information, advice and guidance to make important decisions. This includes only speaking with the people the student has given us prior consent to speak with. For example, the student may have indicated that they that they do or do not want us to speak to parents, close relatives or carers or anybody else about them. The student will need to specify who they give us consent to speak with, and what we can talk to them about, and unless there is a serious or safety concern we will always honour this. This extends to Academic Departments, who will not speak with parents/supporters even though Disability Support may have consent to speak with them. In addition, Student Futures Disability and Inclusion will not routinely send information about support sessions, attendance or academic progress to parents/supporters. If a student would like to discuss the issue of consent to speak with others with our team, please encourage them to get in touch as soon as possible.


Telephone: 01244 511059